4 Weeks Before Move
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity. Visit our “Donate Unwanted Items” page to get more information.
- Contact doctors and dentists. They may recommend a colleague near your new home. Get copies of renewable prescriptions.
- Transfer children’s education records to new school.
- Check homeowners insurance policy to see if moving is covered. Be sure your new home is covered by transferring fire, theft, and other insurance.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- If you have any questions call Rainbow Movers.
3 Weeks Before Move
- Plan to use up most food items before the move.
- Check and clear tax assessments.
- Confirm transfer of school records.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before moving them.
- Movers can’t move highly flammable items or ammunition. It’s best to use it up or give it away before you move.
- If you have pets to move, Rainbow Movers can provide advice and recommend services available.
- Notify Post Office and get change-of-address forms. Notify magazine subscriptions. NOTE: You must fill out a change of address for each person receiving mail
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Decide which items you’ll pack and which items Rainbow Movers will pack. We provide the finest packing materials at reasonable prices.
- Close or transfer all charge accounts. Return library books and other borrowed items. Collect loaned items and items in lay-away, storage, etc…
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and delivery services, lawn care services, etc…
- Arrange connection of utilities in your new home. Draw a floor plan of your new home and indicate placement of furnishings.
1 Week Before Moving
- Transfer bank accounts and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city. Confirm travel reservations.
- Unless prepaid or billed, arrange to have cash, certified check or money order ready to pay your van operator before goods are unloaded.
- Set aside maps, games, snacks, flashlight and other items you’ll take in your car.
- Your local phone company can help you with phone service for your new home, as well as disconnecting service at your present home.
- Drain water from all garden hoses. Start packing suitcases. Gather jewelry, cash, and other valuable items and documents to carry with you.
- Confirm service dates of your move with Rainbow Movers Customer Service Center. Drain gas from mower.
- Anything Rainbow Movers is packing can be left in place. It’s easier and safer to pack glassware right from the cabinet it’s kept in.
One Day Before Move
- Put cleaning supplies, toiletries and coffee pot in separate box to be loaded last and unloaded first.
- Finish packing all suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator.
- Be on hand all day to answer questions, accompany van operator during inventory, sign bill of lading and confirm your new address.
- Make final check of every room and storage area. Lock all windows and doors, and make sure keys are transferred and lights are out.
- Relax and enjoy your new home.